Thursday, July 21, 2011

Fast replicating cells now being impacted - part 2

The impact on my fast replicating cells is getting more severe as my white blood cell and platelet counts continue to drop.

This means that I am beginning to develop some serious sores in my mouth. Both my cheeks have gashes about an inch long, blood blisters are forming on the inside of my lips, and the tongue feels like it has been raked by a cheese grater.

In an adult, a normal count is about 150,000 to 450,000 platelets per micro-liter of blood. I am at 9,000. 

I got a transfusion of platelets this afternoon so ideally this will bring me up enough that I don't bleed from places like the ears, noes, and eyes.

My total red blood cell count has maintained since yesterday so this is a good sign but it is still possible for it to fluctuate a bit. Today it was at 25 but if it drops below 24, I will need another transfusion.

Still exhausted beyond all belief but it is what it is. Naps are almost becoming the norm because of all the vitals checks, IV changes, blood draws, blood cultures, etc. 

Antibiotics have helped quite a bit on several levels but I am officially run down and am counting the days when I can finally leave. 

No comments:

Post a Comment