Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Today's update from the doctors

It was a loooong data at Dana Farber, Brigham and Women's, and associated satellite facility. We had a blood draw, EKG, visit with the doctor, pulmonary test, bone density test, and an echo-cardiogram to finish up the day.

The blood draw was a little more than average at 11 vials. Certainly not my personal best but a good amount for a monthly exam. What was annoying was that they were VERY late. This delay compounded with  delay creep in other appointments caused a lot of running around and being over an hour late in some cases.

Anyone who knows me how severely anal I am about being on time so this really ticked me off as the day progressed.

Anyway. The visit with the doctor, really NP, was a bit more eventful. When we first got into the room, we were given a list of medications and allergies but only the allergies were listed. This made me all kinds of excited with the idea that I was getting pulled off the medications. Clearly I assumed wrong because the NP set me straight right off. Someone merely f'ed up. We then went on to discuss my pain. Eureka. We finally have an idea why. Turns out my arm and hand skin are getting EXTREMELY tight which is causing compression on the blood vessels, veins, muscles, etc due to GVHD. This causes fluid to flow and get trapped in the hands which causes the swelling and restriction in the above things. This explains why the pain can never be pinpointed to any one area and why cold/hot treatments fail. This is also why there is no evidence on the x-rays of arthritis. We have also decided that I now have an excellent case of GVHD in my eyes with my right eye being the worst. It has been decided that the steroid prednisone is the way to go. This will hopefully help with both problems. Taking the steroid has some serious side effects which I wont go into. All I can say is I hope not to be on it very long.

2 comments:

  1. I wish things were easier...but...you'll have to try to remember that this too shall pass...you've come a long way baby :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are, for lack of a better term, a trooper! You WILL get through this.

    ReplyDelete